Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Are You Listening to the Signs Around You?

A bit of creative writing to encourage and inspire you today and every day.
Written by my lovely friend Lisa Raymoure Cooper of Laughing Moon Art Studio

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a true story. It's a small story to be sure, but affected me in a large way.
There is a quote I like, it goes like this; "I try to take things one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once.."

How my week went, is actually a long story, but the part that is sticking with me is the small story... that came at the end. That's what I want to tell you about.

I went early to the gas station, to put a little gas in my car to do the things I needed to do. I was paying more attention to the numbers on the front of the pump than anything, as I had a certain amount budgeted. I caught movement from my side. A crow flew up from the ground to the overhang directly above me. Nothing too amazing, this is the midwest after all. Then, it dropped to the ground, and did it again. Right over my head.

Now, it had my attention. 


photo via Flickr by C. Strife

I was looking up, to see if it would reappear, curious. Nothing happened and I returned to dwelling on my thoughts of the past week or two. Sorting through what had happened, gone wrong, failed. Wondering why large hurts seem to come all on top of each other, so much like a rugby pile up - with us on the bottom. I put the cap on and walked around the back of the car to get in when right in front of me, waiting, was the crow.
It stood about 10 feet from me, regarding me. 


Moving only it's head, to observe me from different angles, it started calmly walking towards me.
Crows usually don't really walk. They sort of strut. And when they are in a murder they can be fairly intimidating these 'Men In Blacks', dark generals, taking over whatever ground they are on. There was no bobbing of it's head, just watching me and coming forward. I opened the car door, sat down and watched it through my open window. There was no one else around in the early morning, and the air was clean and still cool from the night as we looked at each other. I sat, in it's gaze for about five minutes. It didn't feel threatening, or ominous. Just a calm exchange - but strangely purposeful.
Finally, I started the car, and it stood and watched me drive away. It didn't back up, or break into flight. I could see it's head, tilted to the side to watch me leave. 


Later I googled this:
"Crow is a messenger of change; spiritual, mental and emotional. Life, death, rebirth, transition, watchfulness, look for opportunities coming up, aids in ability to move spiritually and physically. They teach the power and balance of light/dark and spiritual/physical. He teaches to create and manifest things in our lives, all of life is waiting. Crow announces a newness on the horizon. Are you aware of the nuances in life? Are you listening to signs around you? Crow can give strength and show you how to maneuver in intuitions and insights."



via flickr by C. Strife
Take my word for it, it was a very appropriate message after the previous week. I like to think it was one of those small moments, that if listened to can be big moments. For me the struggles of the week, for a minute were put in a perspective that I could face square forward and feel again like I could tackle. There is a particular prayer I like, the Seafarer's Prayer to Mary,Star of the Sea. So, I said it, being thankful in the midst of my oceans storms this small gift came to me, and that I recognized it.

Is everything all better? Well, no... although it will be. Some things take time. Emotional turmoil or practical struggles need the space they need to be worked out. But they will.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I really want to know! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...